Monday, September 12, 2011

Nine Eleven

We taught our kiddos for the first time this year what happened on Sept 11. We watched the memorial service together. C was intrigued by the fountains that flow where the twin towers stood. He wants to go see them in person. He had questions about why someone would want to do something like that. Hard to explain. AP just kept saying "that's so sad." They were proud to wear their red, white, and blue to church yesterday morning.
It's hard to believe it's been 10 years. I can remember, like most people, exactly what I was doing. I was a newlywed. I was driving into work, which consisted of about a 5 minute commute, and listening to 107.5 on the radio. They interrupted a song to break the news of the first plane. I thought it was a joke. By the time I got onto the unit of the hospital that I worked in, my coworkers were all gathered around the tv as we watched the rest of the day's news unfold.
It's sad that terrorism even exists. That I have to explain that to my kids. That they will one day have to worry about it themselves and explain it to their kids. Maybe I'm an idealist, flower child, or hippie at heart, but can't we all just get along? Maybe give peace a chance.

1 comment:

RoadDog said...

I was teaching school and that became the lesson plan the rest of that day and for the rest of the week.